The purpose of the Temple Fine Arts Department is to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for cognitive, creative, and social growth. The Temple Fine Arts Department actively seeks to:
- Build many types of literacy while developing intuition, reasoning, imagination, and dexterity into unique forms of expression and communication.
- Explore the influence of the arts in their power to create and reflect cultures.
- Engage students in a process that enables them to develop the self-esteem, self-discipline, self-motivation, and cooperation necessary for success in life.
- Develop a well-rounded student prepared for college, career, and adult life.
We in the Temple Fine Arts Department share the following beliefs regarding Fine Arts curriculum and instruction:
- Instruction in the Fine Arts is essential for the development of the whole child.
- Fine Arts education is for all students.
- Well-educated students have a basic knowledge, skills, and appreciation of the Fine Arts.
- The Fine Arts provide unique experiences that combine the physical, mental, social, and emotional aspects of human existence.
- The Fine Arts are a means of communication beyond the written and spoken word with the self, others, and the world around us.
- The Fine Arts are a historical component of civilization and a body of knowledge which provide a sense of cultural integrity and a sense of belonging.
- Participation in the Fine Arts maximizes critical thinking skills and creativity.
- Fine Arts education prepares students to be successful, contributing members of society.
Instruction is offered in Temple ISD at the elementary school, middle school, and high school levels, grades K–12, is taught by certified music specialists, visual art specialists, theatre arts specialists, and a dance specialist. As per state education law and rule, all of the student expectations of the Fine Arts Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for all fine arts areas must be addressed as part of the locally-developed and implemented curriculum. The TEKS are the state-mandated learning standards that describe what students should know and be able to do at each grade level.