Temple Independent School District

Skip to main content

History of Dunbar-Meridith

 

The "Temple Colored School" was organized in 1885 and the campus was located on South 8th and East Ave. E.  In 1912, a two story building was erected with eleven classrooms, a science lab, and a principal's office.  The first high school was organized in 1915.  In 1925, the school was named Dunbar High School.  The football team, named the Dunbar Panthers, was coached by Curtis B. Elliott.  They won the state championship in 1939.  Coach Elliott coached at Dunbar High School for 36 years.

In 1952, the Dunbar High School campus was opened at 1717 East Ave. J. The school was later renamed Dunbar-Meridith High School in memory of G. C. Meridith who served as principal for more than 2 decades.  Dunbar-Meridith served as a high school until 1968 when the campus was merged with Temple High School. 

1966 Graduation Class
 
1966 graduating class
 
 
 
 News articles: